ga('set', 'userId', 'USER_ID'); // Set the user ID using signed-in user_id.

Thursday 16 August 2018

Managing risk the viewpoint

I remember the first time I had the opportunity to stand behind a shop till. It was a newsagents. I was a paper boy. An emergency took place and the shop manager said "you cover the counter while I deal with this situation." Apart from the buzz for a child to be in control of a shop, I had never dealt with cash before, I was terrified.

But the lasting impression about that situation was; I saw the shop from a different viewpoint.

Years of paper rounds delivering in the local village, leaning on the counter, several visits each day, I had got used to seeing the shop from one side the customer side.

Now I was seeing the other side. It was strange.

If you have lived in the same house for a long time and you haven't been in the garden of next door then when you do go and visit -its strange because you are seeing it from a different eye, a different perspective!

Looking at "risks" is to some extent looking from a different angle.

While you might have a insight, the rest of your team might not!
To move forward in risk management there is a need to have everyone increase their awareness.

With change like behaviour it might take time, but as you carry on, others will see this new perspective and what a benefit it could be. A disaster missed, a more efficient office, no loss or a catastrophe averted.  

No comments: